The Discovery Center
Photo Exhibit Submissions
Pine Bush Perspectives 2023
Did you capture a great shot of a butterfly, frame a gorgeous sunset or zoom into the gills of a mushroom? Each visitor views the Albany Pine Bush from a unique vantage point worthy of celebrating. Share your perspective by submitting photographs taken in the Albany Pine Bush Preserve to our juried exhibit by midnight October 1, 2023.
10, ten, X,5+5, no matter how you say it ten years is an achievement. You have been sharing your view of the Pine Bush Preserve with us for a decade! We would like to celebrate this special achievement with a fun “10” themed exhibit and social media campaign and we need your help. Use your creativity to represent the number 10 in the preserve. Did you see ten towhee’s in a row, find a ten spotted caterpillar, some twigs lying in the shape of 10? Capture that moment of 10 photographically and submit it along side your Pine Bush Perspective’s jury considerations. The 10th anniversary will not be juried but we will use the photographs to help increase engagement in this Pine Bush tradition. Submit your 10th anniversary photo with your Pine Bush Perspectives submission.
- Photographers may be any age or skill level.
- Photographs must be taken in the Albany Pine Bush Preserve.
- Photographs may only be submitted by the original photographer.
- Minors must have parental permission.
- Each photographer may submit up to two pieces.
- Photographs that have been in the show in previous years will not be accepted.
- Photographs may not have watermarks or any identifying marks on them. This is in order to ensure our jurors are not biased.
Selection and Awards
- Entries will be judged by a juror selected by the Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission Juried Photo Exhibit Committee.
- Photos will be judged on composition, focus, use of light, and the artistic presentation of the subject.
- No watermarks or signatures are allowed on the photographs to ensure unbiased judging.
- Standard editing is allowed (cropping, spot removal, straightening, sharpening, brightness and contrast). The resulting image should represent the subject as it appeared in nature when the photo was taken.
- Jurors look for images that are sharp throughout the image, well lit, in focus, well-composed, with straight horizons and make good use of light, either traditionally or in a creative way.
- Jurors look for isolated subjects (flowers, insects, birds, etc.) that are clearly defined and stand out from the background.
- Submission does not guarantee entry. You will be notified by October 20, 2023 of your entry’s status.
- All accepted photographs will require final preparation including printing and framing. This will be done by the APBPC at its own cost.
- Juror selected prizes will be awarded at the opening event on December 1, 2023. A People's Choice prize will be awarded after the show ends in March 2024.
- Any photograph submitted may be used in promotional materials, regardless of the photograph's acceptance into the exhibit.
Mark your Calendars for this year's show
OPENING RECEPTION: December 1, 2023 evening.
EXHIBIT RUN TIME: December 2, 2023 - March 1, 2024.
Want to see some of the photos from previous shows?
The Friends of the Pine Bush Inc. have taken the show on the road to display these amazing photographs in the community. Check out their page to learn more about the Traveling Exhibit!
Previous year's shows are also in our Photo Gallery.
Midnight October 1, 2023
Digital Submission Link
Follow this link to submit: https://fs12.formsite.com/apbpc/mjgdrq9g3g/index.html
We will also accept entries submitted in person. To schedule a submission appoinment please contact Blake. Schedule your appointment by September 15, 2023 in order to meet the submission deadline.
Having Trouble with your Digital Submission?
You can request a guided digital submission appointment by contacting Blake. You will need to have your digital photos on a USB drive. Schedule your appointment by September 15, 2023 in order to meet the submission deadline.
Call: 518-456-0655 x1222